Did you wake up from dreaming about snakes last night? Yikes! This can be a scary dream if, like me, you are afraid of these reptiles with their beady little eyes.
The good news is that you’re not alone in having this frightful dream, and after all, it was just a dream and you’re not currently in a pit of snakes (I hope!).
Since you’re dreaming about snakes, you’re probably wondering what this means – what is your brain really trying to tell you? To understand this and how it relates to your current day to day life, we must investigate the context of the dream to see what the symbolism of the snake means for you.
Just keep in mind that how you personally feel about snakes (scared of them? love them? think they’re evil?) plays an important part in defining the true meaning of the snake in your dreams.
Interpreting The Meaning Of Your Dream: Questions To Consider
Since the meaning of a snake in your dreams can be interpreted more than one way, the first thing we have to do is take a moment to answer some questions. Once you know the answers to these questions, it will be easier for you to interpret your snake dreams.
What type of snake was in the dream? This may seem trivial but the different types of snakes carry different meanings. For instance, a cobra snake carries a far more sinister meaning that your average garden snake.
If you’re not sure what type of snake it was, then you should do some research to find it and learn a bit more about it. This is true even if you do recognize the snake.
Maybe you’ll learn that it’s a protective type of snake, or that it’s a harmless snake. To give you an example, if you are dreaming of rattlesnakes then there is something in your waking life that is leaving you feeling rattled.
How did the snake make you feel in your dream? This is something that you should really consider carefully and deeply. Don’t just rush to say scared if you are scared of snakes, because the dream may have brought up other feelings as well.
Here are some guided questions to help you interpret this dream: Did it give you a feeling of dread? What about despair? Did you feel scared? What about calm and relaxed? Or maybe happy?
How this snake made you feel in your dream tells you something very important – it gives you a clue as to how you feel in your waking life about a specific situation.
What color was the snake in your dream? You probably already know the importance and symbolism of colors in dreams, and this also applies to things like the color of the snake you dreamed about last night.
For instance, dreaming about a black snake carries a different meaning that if it was a green snake.
After answering all of the questions above, you’re ready to more accurately interpret the meaning of this snake-filled dream.
Some Possible Meanings Of Snakes In Dreams
Ready to figure out just what the heck that snake dream has to do with your waking life? Below are some of the most common possible interpretations of what the snake appearance in your dreams actually means.
- Holding a snake = You’re ready to overcome it! If you’re holding a snake in your hand in your dreams, then it means that you are now ready to overcome what ever obstacles or fears are holding you up and blocking your path forward.
- Seeing baby snakes = You’re feeling lost or confused. Are the snakes in your dreams of the baby snake variety? If so, this signals a feeling of vulnerability because you’re feeling confused or lost. Is there something in your life that has you feeling overwhelmed right now? You’re probably just ready to seek some outside advice or counsel instead of trying to go it alone.
- Seeing a snake/snakes = You’re feeling betrayed. Is there something going on in your life that has you feeling like you can’t trust someone? Or maybe someone has done you wrong? Snakes have a long history of being a sign of betrayal, so that might just be the case for you right now. The context of the rest of the dream will help with this interpretation.
- Seeing a snake/snakes = You’re feeling intimidated. A lot of people are scared of snakes, so sometimes dreaming of snakes signifies that you’re feeling frightened or intimidated by something in your waking life. The context of the rest of the dream will help with this interpretation.
- Seeing a snake/snakes = You’re feeling tempted. It’s no secret that snakes are associated with temptation, so dreaming about snakes just might mean that you’re feeling some temptations taking over you. This can be something sexual or relationship related, or even something more vanilla like tempted by sweets and sugary foods when you’re on a diet. The context of the rest of the dream will help with this interpretation.
- Seeing a snake/snakes = You’re noticing some wisdom. In some cultures, snakes are associated with wisdom. So, seeing a snake in your dream may signal a moment of clarity and wisdom regarding a situation that you’re in. The context of the rest of the dream will help with this interpretation.
- Seeing a venomous snake/snakes = You’re feeling threatened. If your dreams are filled with snakes of the venomous variety, then there is a good chance that you’re feeling threatened in your day to day life. The venomous snakes symbolize that you’re feeling in danger.
- Seeing moving snake = You should develop some flexibility and adapt. Is that snake in your dream just writhing along and looking super flexible and able to adapt to any situation? Then it’s possible that your dream is telling you to develop this exact same ability. So, if you’re dealing with something outside your comfort zone in your daily life, just try adapting to the situation and current circumstances.
- Being bitten by a snake = You should pay more attention! In real life, snake bites often happen when people aren’t paying attention and happen upon a snake without realizing it. When this happens in your dreams it’s tell you- Wake up, girl! You gotta pay more attention! There’s also a chance that the bite just signifies that you’re experiencing some surprising pain, like maybe a breakup, and you should focus on that pain and work through it.
- Fighting a snake = You should stop resisting and struggling. This one right here often means that you’re struggling against a change or resisting the change to overcome a fear, or something like that. You know you’re resisting this struggle, so go on and give in to it.
- Being afraid of a snake = You are scared and it’s holding you back. For a lot of people, being afraid of a snake in your dreams is no different than in real life, except dreaming about that fear usually means that there’s something else in your waking life that you’re scared of right now. Recognize that fear and work on overcoming it to get those snakes outta your dreams.
- Killing a snake = You can overcome this. If you’ve been struggling with something, such as a fear or a betrayal, then killing a snake in your dream is symbolic of this. It shows that you are ready to move on and overcome whatever is troubling you or holding you back.
- The snake is your pet = You desire a companion. Whether you’d have a real snake for a pet in the past doesn’t matter, because if you’re dreaming about having a snake as a pet then it probably signifies a yearning for companionship of some sort. Though some people think that if you’ve never had a pet snake in real life, and never want one as a pet, then having a pet snake in your dreams means that you’re not easily trusting of people, which makes it hard to make friends.
- Charming a snake = You’re ready to take control. If your dreams have you charming a snake, then it probably means that you’re ready to use your charms to take control of a situation in your waking life. But what if someone else in your dream is doing the snake charming? Then that can mean that you see them as wise or as a figure of authority.
- Seeing a two-headed snake = You’re feeling pulled in multiple directions or conflicted. If you’re faced with some tough choices in your daily life, or just feeling overwhelmed and pulled in different directions, then the appearance of a two-headed snake (or snakes) in your dreams symbolize this stress. In some cases, the two-headed snake can also mean that you’ve got more than one fear that’s weighing on your mind.
- Seeing multiple snakes = You’re feeling overwhelmed. Does your mind have you dreaming not only of one snake, but several snakes? This is the perfect way to symbolize the feeling of being overwhelmed and having to deal with too much at once. Often the stress that is cause this stems from multiple people or situations.
Snakes As A Spirit Animal
Did you know that a snake in your dreams can be a messenger of spirit? Sure, plenty of people (like me) are scared of snakes and don’t want them anywhere near us, including in our dreams.
But we just might be able to learn something from the snakes that haunt our dreams.
If you’ve got a snake as a dream messenger when you sleep, then try to not be afraid of it. Instead, accept this spirit animal for what it is – something to remind us to confront our fears, take control of our life, and live a more zen and fulfilling life.
When a snake appears in your dream as a spirit animal, let it remind you that we should all strive to be more like the snake. Snakes adapt to their surroundings and move through the world on their own terms, and we can (and should) be flexible like that.
So, when a snake appears in your dreams, try not to be afraid and instead take the appearance as a chance to learn more about yourself and make positive changes in your life.
Have you had a snake appear in your dreams? Do you have questions about it? Do you have a snake dream interpretation or meaning that we don’t have and you’d like to share? Let us know in the comments below.